Friday 15 November 2013

I'm a GUEST DESIGNER for Digitally 'Sweet' Challenges... Challenge #62

Well, Well, Well, isn't it funny how things just..... happen???

A couple of weeks ago, I entered one of my creations in to the challenge at Digitally Sweet who had the offer to become a GUEST DESIGNER for their challenge blog.
I woke up one morning to a lovely email from an even lovelier lady called Karen, who offered me a chance to be a GD. 
I immediately said yes..... as I love a new challenge.

Here it is... the logo for DSC - click on the logo to have a toot around the challenge blog.


So, I got started on my 1st challenge. 

As many of you know, I am completely in love with all things vintage and I adore old fashioned postcards and vintage photographs. And my 1st challenge for DS was just that - a gorgeous vintage photograph with the most beautiful colours... my heart melted when I was given the opportunity to use this image... just stunning. 

The photograph was from Lunagirl - which I must admit, I had never heard of - but I am now completely and utterly in love. This website has some of the most gorgeous images I have ever seen. 
The theme was: use ribbon/lace or both. Any kind of ribbon and lace are my main crafty weakness. I have thousands of yards of the stuff but always need more!! There are so many things that an be done with ribbon/lace. It can be manipulated in so many wonderful and creative ways...
Soooooo, what could be better - a beautiful image and an fabulous theme!!


Here is my 1st creation for Digitaly Sweet.


Isn't that photograph just gorgeous??
So, I started with gathering a selection of ribbons and lace concentrating on the colour palette in the photograph. I chose a silky turquoise green, a rich burgundy, chocolate brown, white, cream and gold range of ribbons and lace.



I cut around the photograph leaving a 0.5 cm border. I wanted to add some texture along with flashes of colour. I laid out some of the ribbons flat and ruffled different ribbons over the top.


I also added a large piece of bronze/gold lace fabric to the bottom corner and added crochet ribbon over the top. 
I made a ribbon rose from the turquoise ribbon and placed it in the centre. 


I layered a piece of lace ribbon along the top then cut single flowers out of another piece of the lace and layered them on top. I inked the flowers with Distress Ink (see, got to sneak my DI's in somewhere!!) and added gold Stickles to the center of each flower. 


I added cream pearls and gold cord around areas of the photo to frame it.
To finish, I added white feathers around the ribbon rose.


I adored doing this project and it just shows - when the primary image is so stunning - the creative possibilities are endless.




I think I am going to have an amazing time working with the ladies at DS and I am so excited as I have already seen some of the images for the next few challenges and can't wait to work with them.

Thank you so much for looking and I hope you leave a comment to share your thoughts. I read each and every one and they are kindly appreciated. 

Hope you visit again soon - Lis xxx 









3 comments:

  1. Have to say I'm not fully into all things vintage but this is really something special and I love the way you have used so many different types of materials to create this stunning art piece. Enjoy your success and hopefully we will see lots more. Love Cheryl xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too love vintage and this is GORGEOUS! Look at all that ribbon and lace, Perfect! Thank-you for being our GDT, we are very fortunate!

    ReplyDelete