Sunday 17 November 2013

Dancing Queen Nataliya - OSAAT - challenge #190

This weeks challenge for One Stitch At A Time was an 'anything goes' challenge using the gorgeous dancing queen, Nataliya. This is such a fabulous image. I love fairies/angels and basically anything with wings and I utterly adore butterflies. And this image was all of the above rolled in to one. 

This weeks sponsor is the Stitchy Bear Digi Outlet and the winners prize is all the images the DT used in challenge #188.

Here is my creation for this weeks challenge.


I decided to try something different this week - I wanted to get back to my 'grungy' crafty style. Be a bit more natural to myself rather than trying to force something which basically - I'm just not!! 

I have come to the conclusion that any image can be used by any crafter regarding their personal style. Over the past few months I've felt like I had to craft a certain way because of the image I was using. Soooooo, I have decided not to think about it like that in the future. Be me. Craft MY way. 

So, that is what I did with this image.
I hid my ProMarkers and got out my scrummy coloured pencils. And not just any coloured pencils.... my fabulous metallic coloured pencils.... and got to work.


I wanted to give the image a 'Degas' feel to it. I love Degas' dancers. They are some of my favourite works of art. I wanted to create a dreamy feel, a splash, line, area of colour rather than a concentrated, focused, 'stick to in between the lines' colouring. And I thought the best medium for that was pencils.


I coloured in the image using greens, blues and purples. Then I tore around the image to 'cut' it out. 

I didn't want to just 'plonk' the image on to a standard size card. I chose a piece of mount board to work with.

I painted it with a olive coloured emulsion paint. I randomly stamped the background with a honeycomb stamp from Indigoblu then heat embossed it with white sparkle embossing powder. 


I collected bits of ribbons and lace and stuck them along the bottom and up the side of the mount board. 


I die cut some flowers from different fabrics, inked them and made a rosette by layering them together.


Then I inked around the edges of the torn image and stuck it in down. I took some blue satin ribbon and made a criss-cross pattern in the top corner to mimic the ballet shoes. I then painted it with distress inks.


I took a piece of muslin cloth and cut it in to small squares and frayed the edges.


To finish, I made two holes in the top of the board and tied some more ribbon to make a handle. 


Ingredients:
* Distress Inks, Peeled Paint, Chipped Sapphire, Broken China.
* White sparkle embossing powder.
* Blue satin ribbon.
* Muslin cloth.
* Different fabrics to create rosette.
* Spellbinders flower die.
* Honeycomb background stamp from Indigoblu.


Check out the challenge blog @ 
www.onestitchatatimechallenge.blogspot.co.uk

Thanks for looking, hope to see you soon, toodles.

11 comments:

  1. Lovely card, Lisa, and yes, stick to what you like to do. You've reminded me that I love to tear images out but haven't done it for ages. Hmm ...... Hazel x

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty! I have felt the need to use images as others have as well. We need to be true to ourselves with our work! Great job. Hugs Erin OSAAT teamie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Lisa...I love what you've created. All the "little things" on this card are great (like the tearing, the ribbon on the corner etc.) Very nice indeed.

    Lynn, OSAAT DT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Lisa, this is just too lovely for words - your delicately beautiful image and beautiful colours and all the textures you have added make this such a treat to see and so thoroughly enjoyed. Please don't restrict your wonderful talent by 'creating as expected' you'll never be happy or enjoy your precious creativity time. You have a wonderful talent so please do 'believe in yourself'. Love Ingrid xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, such a detailed creation! Looks amazing!

    Victoria x (OSAAT teamie)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your style. You definitely know your style of doing things. :D What fabulous creation totally awesome, my daughter would love this on her wall.
    Your OSAAT DT sister
    Deborah xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love what you have done with this. I am glad that you went back into your comfort zone and did this grungy creation. It is worked brilliantly :) from Sian (OSAAT Teamie)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lisa. Thanks for picking this image. You did wonderful job with it. Such a lovely and fun ribbon work here too. and your flower are very pretty.
    Hugs Nat

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did a fabulous job with this image and I think you should stick to being you! All the aspects of it are just gorgeous. Maggie -DT OSAAT

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super cute card Lisa , lots great details and adorable image!
    ¸..• ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.•´ .•´¨¨))*((¸¸.•´ ..•´
    Shell in Alaska ~OSAAT teammate
    http://akstamping.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lisa, I love your fabric flower! You've inspired me to try one myself. Everything about this is so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete